I realised this morning that I wrote my first post STEAK SALAD a year ago today. I can not believe it has been that long, it has gone really quickly ... I have really enjoyed writing recipes, photographing food and meeting lots of other like minded people who love to gather around their tables and enjoy food with their friends and family.
As I have a few more readers than this time last year ... when it was just my wonderful husband under duress ... I thought I would repost the delicious salad that Emily, Jack, Rich and I enjoyed a year ago ...
STEAK, BUTTERNUT SQUASH & ASPARAGUS SALAD
2 rib eye steaks (approx 500g), 100g of mixed leaf salad (I use herb, baby leaf and rocket), 1 butternut squash, 12 asparagus spears, 50g of blue cheese, 50g flaked almonds, teaspoon sugar, butter, extra virgin olive oil
- Heat oven to 180
- Cut up the butternut squash into 16 or so pieces. I do it by cutting of the ends of the butternut squash then cutting it in half, lenghtways. Remove the seeds and cut in half the other way so you are left with four pieces of squash, two semi circles and two long pieces. Cut each of these into four, lenghways and place in roasting tray. Drizzle the squash with olive oil and put in oven for 30-40 minutes until cooked, should be soft and lightly golden. Take out of the oven and leave to cool slightly while you prepare the salad.
- Steam the asparagus for 1-2 mins till cooked (the time will vary with size of asparagus). Once cooked drain and run some cold water over them to stop them cooking. Shake of water and put to side.
- Place a dry frying pan on the heat and add 50g of flaked almonds, keep stirring till they start to colour, once they do, add a teaspoon of sugar to the pan and stir. The sugar will melt and coat the almonds. Once all the almonds are coated, place them on a plate, if you leave them in frying pan they will keep cooking and burn.
- Rinse frying pan and pop back on heat with a tablespoon of butter, once the butter is bubbling add steak to pan. The steak I buy is 1.5cm thick. Cook it for a minute and a half on each side for medium rare and remove from heat, leave the meat to rest in warm place for a few minutes.
- Place the salad leaves in a large bowl or on a plate, pour over half the dressing and mix well to ensure all the leaves are covered. Place the butternut squash and asparagus in another bowl and pour over the rest of the dressing, gently mix to cover all the vegtables and place the dressed butternut squash and asparagus over the salad leaves. Crumble over blue cheese (if using) and sprinkle with half the flaked almonds.
- Slice the steak into strips and place on top of salad with any juices. Sprinkle on the rest of the almonds, drizzle the dish with olive oil and serve.
If you are not a blue cheese fan or what a slightly lighter dish then leave it out. If you like your steak done rare, cook it for a minute on each side. For Medium do two mintues. If your steak is a little thinner you will need to adjust cooking times accordingly.
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1.5 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon of maple syrup
1 teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
1 clove of grated garlic
pinch of salt and pepper
Place all the ingredients in a jam jar, shake for ten seconds.